[Qgis-developer] QGIS-devel on FreeBSD: layer's metadata not editable

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Tue Jun 14 03:56:54 PDT 2016

Dear devs,

I am the maintainer of the QGIS port for the FreeBSD OS.

For some time now I have problems, when running a more recent QGIS devel
version on FreeBSD. QGIS devel does not show and/or let me edit layer's
metadata.

For example, if I have a vector layer and go to
[Layer Properties] -> [Style] -> [Fill] -> [Simple fill]

all I get in the [Symbol layer type] area is
[This layer doesn't have any editable properties]

The corresponding debug messages seem to be the following:

[..snip..]
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [2325ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
SimpleLine
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
MarkerLine
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
ArrowLine
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
SimpleMarker
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [1ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
FilledMarker
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
SvgMarker
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
FontMarker
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
EllipseMarker
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
VectorField
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
SimpleFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
GradientFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
ShapeburstFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
RasterFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata: SVGFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
CentroidFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
LinePatternFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
PointPatternFill
src/gui/symbology-ng/qgslayerpropertieswidget.cpp: 50:
(_initWidgetFunction) [0ms] Failed to cast symbol layer's metadata:
GeometryGenerator
[..snip..]

This is on FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT with clang compiler 3.8.0 and cmake
3.5.2. QGIS is on Git tag #1563526, so the patch for 'Simpler handling
of DLL_EXPORT defines' #d3fd818 is already included.

The debug messages point into the directions of a casting problem.

I am not a programmer, but to me it seems, that there is a problem with
the visibility of some layer properties code. Before #d3fd818, I was
able to see the layer's metadata, if I built QGIS with commenting out
the following line in all CMakeLists.txt files:

#SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "$${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS} -fvisibility=hidden
-fvisibility-inlines-hidden

Unfortunately, I have no idea, what to do next :(

I would really appreciate any help or hint in this context. Please let
me know, if I should provide more information or test something.

Many thanks in advance,
Rainer Hurling