[Qgis-developer] Sharing 1. symbology (styles) and 2. projects incl. data and styles (GSoC, relocator, QConsolidate)

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 00:45:45 PDT 2016

> Hi Akbar and RĂ©gis
>
> Thanks for your answers.

> > I just read your All-In-One Project Plugin documentation here (are you
> about
> > to develop it? or already developed it?).
>
> Development has been suspended in 2015 (similar but independently to
> relocator, QConsolidate) as documented here
> http://giswiki.hsr.ch/All-in-one_Project_QGIS_Plugin
>
> > I think more or less the goal
> > would be the same with current GSoC project if we extend the definition
> of
> > 'collection' to also contain data itself. So one colleciton is a
> > self-sufficient QGIS resources (including its data) to create a coherent
> map
> > design.

Hi Stefan,

thank you for your inputs, with this GSOC we are trying to design a system
for sharing generic "resources", without any limitation on their type.

Of course the GSOC project has its own limited resources in terms of time
and goals, but if the design principles will be respected, it will
perfectly possible to add more resource types (like data) in the future.

The general architecture will have repository handlers (to manage different
type of remote/local repositories) and resource handlers to manage the
different type of resources, the resource handlers will have pre/post
processing filters to handle particular cases of resource manipulation in
case we need to alter the resources (think of the paths or the connection
strings) when we import them into the user's QGIS instance.

> >> I would suggest you to read the current plan here (it
> >> would be long to explain in this email)
> >>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/13ETuLBTx5IjVejB8TQPjjsMWBcUQO6pIKrNSrAZUApo/edit?usp=sharing
>
> I would appreciate if you can extend your project to adapt this use case.
> But read carefully what I tried to describe (see especially the issues
> mentioned in my wiki page)
> And be cautious not to overload your project.

We discussed a lot about the issues and use cases, some of them need to be
addressed in the core of QGIS (the relative/absolute paths of sybols, the
fonts etc.) and they are far too difficult and time consuming for this
GSOC, but we are trying to keep in mind the whole big picture when working
on this new sharing system and we are trying  to avoid any hardcoded
blocker for future expansions.

Feel free to have a look to the code and participate directly to this
project if you feel like that and if you have time/resources for helping us.

Thanks!

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it