[Qgis-developer] Symbology export in save as feature

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jun 24 02:15:45 PDT 2016

Hi Yves,

This has mainly "historic" reasons.

It was introduced specifically when saving QGIS layers to DXF through
OGR. I believe also the KML export is affected to some extent.

Our first attempt to export QGIS layer to DXF went through OGR with OGR
feature  - however, this was too limited, and it was abandoned.

"No symbology" means, simple black default lines

"Feature symbology" means "Save with OGR Feature Styles"

"Symbol Layer symbology" means "Save with OGR Feature Styles but export
the same geometry multiple times if there are multiple symbology symbol
layers used"

Meanwhile the DXF export from QGIS goes through a native DXF writer -
without OGR, so the above approach was abandoned and hasn't been worked
on for some years now.

-------------------------

I hope this explains what it does, but as I said it is limited for
export to DXF/KML or potentially formats that support OGR feature styles
- formats that can handle styles.

For QGIS 3.0 I see the following ways to get rid of this:

1. keep it but improve it (unlikely)

2. hide it for layers that don't support OGR feature styles (can be
combined with 1.)

3. get rid of it completely (my preferred option if 1. does not happen)

BTW: 2. could probably be done for QGIS 2.16 and 2.14 already, to have
fewer confused users ...

Hope this explains it.

What do others think?

Andreas