[Qgis-developer] Copy/paste polygon to line shapefile

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 05:21:58 PDT 2016

Hi,
Testing some digitizing tools (2.14.3), I discovered a feature that I
wonder if it's a bug or a new capability.
Let's take two layers (polygon and line) - I use shapefile.
Select a polygon feature and copy/paste it in the line layer. If I'm not
wrong QGIS used to complain about geometry not matching but surprisingly,
it pastes the feature in the line layer.
It seems that it takes the edge of the polygon, generating what I suppose
to be a closed linestring.
The inverse is also possible (copying line to polygon closes that line into
a polygon feature).
Is it by design?
If it's not a bug, is it possible to make the behavior consistent and allow
copy to point layer (retrieving the vertices)?

Thanks,
Harrissou