[Qgis-developer] zip file uploads allowed on github issues?!

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Mar 10 23:51:28 PST 2016

On 10-03-16 19:19, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 10 Mar 2016, at 12:37, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
>> <mailto:denis.rouzaud at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I believe it would require a final approval of moving to github.
>> There were some voices (not mine ;) ) against it!
>>

> The only reason I can see that people might have for not moving to
> GitHub is that the GitHub platform is not FOSS. Personally I don’t think
> that is enough reason not to take advantage of the platform that GitHub
> provides. While of course it would be nicer if it was FOSS, I think the
> benefits provided by GitHub outweigh the cons. Were there any other
> noteworthy reasons?

In my memory the reasons were:

-1- the effort of migration from redmine to github (including links to
issues, mapping osgeo-users to github users etc)

-2- the fact that we could not attach data to an issue

-3- the fact that github is not FOSS itself

Current status:

Point 2 is not valid anymore.

Point 3: stays valid but as our source is already in github we could in
my view also do the issues there. IF needed it is easier to move from
Github to for example GitLab (= FOSS) easier (as the latter provides a
good migration path ...)

Point 1: migration is hard. Other projects also choose to enjoy a clean
sheet ( as Matthias calls it :-) ).

So we can discuss is here a little more and try to force a decisions
next PSC meeting (21) ... ?

About migration, or at least migrate as much as possible, what about the
following plan:

- make redmine read-only (note that we run an older (some say vulnerable
version), so better to just close it at a certain moment).

- add a comment to all issues asking the owner to take the following
action (IF they find the issue still valid/important):
1) create a github account for theirselves, and add that user id to the
issue (so community has a cross user link)
2) move the issue to github issues (including attachments and
discussions? meaning some copy pasting of others comments... but at
least we do not loose discussions then)
3) OR ask community to do this (by adding a tag or message)
- not sure what to do with closed issues and the info in there though
4) close the issue, or at least tag it as 'migrated' or so.

What about this plan? We then have only issues that users find
important, and we can off course go over issues after a while an migrate
ones that we think should too...

Anybody is against the move, or remembers other arguments?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde