[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Windows: order another desktop to accommodate all the icons

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Sat Mar 12 11:37:24 PST 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> On 2016-03-12 10:34 AM, roy roy wrote:
>

>> Hi, what i mean is that the "http%..." folder is useful and not to be
>> removed after install; btw i'm talking about the **OSGeo4Win network
>> installer** witch defaults the cache dir (http%...) in the position
>> where it is launched, also the cache dir can be customized if used in
>> advanced mode.
>>
>> I totally agree that icons and start menu shortcuts could be handled
>> more graciously :)
>>
>> best, roy
>>

> That is also what I was saying Roy: there is an issue with the number of
> icons on the desktop on Windows.  (I have no issue with the cache "http"
> folder)

Yeah, my first reaction usually is to delete all icons.

Which icons would you add by default? Only QGIS Desktop (skip Browser and
all the dependencies)?
I guess this will require e​xtra installer logic because the installer
needs to know that the user is really only interested in QGIS and not all
the other stuff that gets installed as well.
Or would you suggest to present the user with a dialog to chose which icons
should be added to the Desktop?

Thanks for the discussion!

Best wishes,
Anita​