[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Windows: order another desktop to accommodate all the icons

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun Mar 13 10:08:21 PDT 2016

On 2016-03-12 3:37 PM, Anita Graser wrote:
> Yeah, my first reaction usually is to delete all icons.
>
> Which icons would you add by default? Only QGIS Desktop (skip Browser
> and all the dependencies)?
> I guess this will require e​xtra installer logic because the installer
> needs to know that the user is really only interested in QGIS and not
> all the other stuff that gets installed as well.
> Or would you suggest to present the user with a dialog to chose which
> icons should be added to the Desktop?
>
> Thanks for the discussion!
>
> Best wishes,
> Anita​

I would have the standalone installer only add 2 shortcuts on the desktop:
  - one shortcut for "QGIS Desktop 2.14.1" (that starts QGIS Desktop)
  - one shortcut for "QGIS All Start Items" that when clicked opens a
folder containing shortcuts to all of the other items (GRASS, Browser,
Qt Designer, SAGA, Setup)

If you want to get fancy (and have the time to modify the installer
scripts) then you could add a dialogue to allow the user choice of what
shortcuts to add.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna