[Qgis-developer] save layer as dxf

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Mon Mar 14 02:33:26 PDT 2016

Hi,

I decided to post this on the dev list and not on the user's list.
Problem description: task is to export a single layer to dxf, CRS of
both, the project and the layer is EPSG:25832 (units = metres). Using
layer - save as with dxf results in a dxf file with units = inches
(although exported coordinates are EPSG:25832 coordinates, i.e. units
should be metres). Digging into this I found the description on the ogr
side [1] explainig that the default is "English - Inches". To use other
units one needs to use a different header file. But there is no way to
tell QGIS to do so (except I am missing something). IMHO this behaviour
is very counterintuitive, leeds to wrong results and is not really
solveable from a user's point of view (change the header file being
installed with QGIS, or change the resulting dxf with an editor).

I see these possible solutions
1) delete this option completely as we now have the dxf export function
2) enable the user to choose a header file and use the default only if
left blank
3) automatically change all units in the resulting dxf file to the ones
used in the chosen CRS

I would opt for solution 3 if we do not follow solution 1

tested with QGIS 2.8.3 on Win7 and QGIS 2.14.0 on Ubuntu

is this worth a ticket?

Bernhard

[1] http://www.gdal.org/drv_dxf.html

__________ Information from ESET Mail Security, version of virus signature database 13173 (20160314) __________