[Qgis-developer] Aggregates within expression engine

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Mar 16 00:30:04 PDT 2016

Hi Paolo,

Thank you for your feedback.

Why do you think SQL aggregate syntax (e.g. as outlined at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/interactive/functions-aggregate.html)
is a no-go? Can you explain this in detail? QGIS is much closer to a
database then it is to a spreadsheet - in fact for most serious QGIS
work you store your data in a SQL database.

It was my impression that QGIS tries to maintain expression syntax
compatible with SQL wherever possible. I think it would be a good thing.

The question is how we can specify grouping. I'd like to see support for
the following grouping mechanisms:

 	* whole record set
 	* given grouping field or expression
 	* current selection
 	* grouping based on relations (very important to my employer) - also
our initial trigger for funding this work
 	* current set of symbology rules or classes (not so important to me,
but maybe useful to some)

Andreas