[Qgis-developer] QGIS3: getting rid of Load layer toolbar?

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:29:42 PDT 2016

Hi Paolo

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I know it's early, but maybe we can start thinking about it: IMHO one
> important target for Q3 will be to get rid of as much duplication as
> possible. IMHO, loading layers is much more efficient through the
> Browser than through all the single buttons; removing these will give a
> much cleaner interface, and more predictable behaviour.
> Unfortunately, there are still tasks that can only be done with the
> buttons (e.g. loading PostGIS layers without an explicit PK is possible
> through the button, fails through the Browser).
> Should we start a list of missing functions, so we know what should be
> done, and when we can drop the toolbar? Or does someone already have the
> list? Anyone working on that?

The list of missing functionality of browser is rather long compared
to the individual 'load layer' dialogs - and some advanced
functionality is not well suited for handling in browser at all (e.g.
composition of WMS layer using multiple sub-layers and styles,
advanced PostGIS loading options, usage of more complex OGR drivers,
...). It is fine to keep improving browser capabilities, but there are
IMHO limits to it.

As others say, a unified load layer dialog should handle the more
advanced cases that browser cannot cover. It will be however a greater
undertaking to integrate everything nicely, as the individual dialogs
are quite diverse. Nathan's older mockups are surely a good start on
how to tackle that. It would be also good to put the functionality
from the standalone 'QGIS Browser' app to such 'load layer' dialog
(especially optional layer preview would be very helpful) and possibly
get rid of 'QGIS Browser' app altogether.

It is something I would like to address, but have not found enough
time for it yet. Recently I was thinking of starting a crowd-funding
campaign to do the transition - and QGIS 3 looks like a good
opportunity to do that.

Cheers
Martin