[Qgis-developer] Qt5 and Python 3

Bas Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Wed May 4 02:14:54 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-04 11:00, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> I tend towards Qt >= 5.7 - on Windows and Mac we control the
> dependencies, so that should be ok anyway, on Linux we can say "if you
> want a recent QGIS, get a recent distro". And by the time we actually
> ship QGIS with a Qt5 dependency there should be a number of distros
> with
> Qt 5.7.

This rules out backports for Debian stable, so I'm not in favour of this
option.

The next Debian stable release may support Qt 5.7, but packaging is not
on the horizon yet. Qt 5.5.1 is currently in testing/unstable (and
Ubuntu xenial) with 5.6 in experimental.

I'd like to keep maintaining backports for the most recent LTR because
that's in the interest of our users, if dependency requirements make
that impossible it's unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Kind Regards,

Bas