[Qgis-developer] Qt5 and Python 3

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed May 4 08:36:17 PDT 2016

Hi,

Matthias, awesome amount of effort you and Jürgen have done here. Thank you
very much.

I have started in on a complete rewrite of the CMake bundling for Mac
(leveraging BundleUtilities) that can utilize a Homebrew backend of
dependencies and generate a completely bundled app directly from a Homebrew
formula. When would be a good timeframe to start releasing a Mac Qt5/Py3
nightly?

Also, what would be the best nightly configurations for Mac to offer?
Qt4/Py2, of course, but what other combinations make sense, i.e. Qt?/Py?,
for testing? Or, should we focus only on offering two: Qt4/Py2, Qt5/Py3?

More below...

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Bas Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2016-05-04 15:08, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
>
>> For the upstream QGIS packages this may be an option, for the official
>>> packages in the Debian archive it is not.
>>>

>> Understandable.
>>
>> I had a look at past Debian releases, extrapolating the release cycle we
>> can expect the next release to happen in about a year.
>>
>> I don't expect a first QGIS release based on Qt5 to happen considerably
>> earlier. The first LTR based on Qt5 will certainly not happen earlier.
>>
>> Just to make sure we talk about the same order of delays. (Note: this
>> timeline has not been officially approved)
>>

> Debian will switch to Qt5 with QGIS 2.16, otherwise there will be no QGIS
> in the next stable release.
>
> The Qt4 builds currently still work because the Qt maintainers didn't want
> to break QGIS before Qt5 support is available, but the Qt4WebKit removal
> changes have already been committed and will be included in the next
> upload. The upload may happen sooner than we'd like if important bugfixes
> need to be uploaded in the near future.
>
> The changes affecting QGIS is the next stable release will arrive earlier
> than a year from now. The freeze was planned for 5 November 2016, but has
> been moved two months to align with the expected 4.10 kernel release. [0]
>
> With the full freeze in February 2016, I expect the release to happen in
> Q3 2016, may be even Q4. The Qt4WebKit removal will happen before the
> transition freeze on 5 November 2016.

Thanks for the clear and concise summary of this dependency issue. Do you
mean "February 2017" and "Q3 2017" here?

Regards,

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography
Black Hills, South Dakota