[Qgis-developer] Qt5 and Python 3

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed May 4 11:10:53 PDT 2016

Hi Larry

On 04/05/16 19:18, Larry Shaffer wrote:

> That sounds great, if we can find a way to do that on a nightly basis.
> Seems a bit excessive to do per Travis test build, i.e. per every
> commit and PR. Well, at least for full bundling, which takes a while
> and might clog the Travis queue.
I would only add the deploy step to master branch (and release
branches?). As long as we don't run into a travis timeout, I don't care.
(And if we do, we might look into getting a ccache setup although it
will be more complicated than what we can do for the linux builds at the
moment)
> Another option is to do a minimum bundled build (just qgis
> libs/frameworks, Python modules and plugins). Then a user would need
> to have a Homebrew dependency install to work with the artifacts. That
> might be the simplest. It would be equivalent to the QGIS.app inside
> of the Homebrew qgis-214 prefix install, or ~58 MB compressed. Note, I
> do something similar at work already, though via Jenkins builds. Would
> make it VERY easy/fast to functionally test PRs on Mac.

If we find a way to do that for PRs, it would be a nice enhancement.
A few things need to be sorted out first like file storage and how to
easily provide a link from the PR.

> It will require the minimum Mac OS to be 10.9 (Travis-supported OS)
> instead of the current 10.7, but I was going to bump the nightlies to
> 10.9 anyhow, since anything less than that is not supported via
> 'bottles' upstream by Homebrew. Also, it's a totally reasonable
> minimum OS for a nightly.
>
> This seems like a good plan to me:
> * New Homebrew-based Mac bundling CMake routines have two bundling
> outputs: minimal and full
> * Travis Mac build produces a minimally bundled app as an output
> artifact, which requires a Homebrew install of deps to use

If possible (timeout) I'd go for the big ones for master builds in a
first step.
> * Generate fully bundled Qt4/Py2, Qt5/PyQt4/Py2 and Qt5/Py3 nightlies
> for local isolated testing of plugins and core

I really like this plan.

Matthias