[Qgis-developer] Possible plugin licensing problems

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Wed May 25 23:58:36 PDT 2016

As far as I understood the recent plugin licensing discussion on this
list a plugin importing qgis.core or qgis.gui (or OS-pyQt) needs to be
licenced compatible to GPL2, so even in a private repository a plugin
author cannot claim a plugin to be for private use only(?). One could of
course publish a limited-use plugin under GPL and sell the full blown
plugin, but as it has to be GPL, too, after some sales it might be
available for download somewhere.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Bernhard