[Qgis-developer] (Yet again) SAGA support badly broken in QGIS

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue May 31 22:38:39 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Il 31/05/2016 21:27, Johan Van de Wauw ha scritto:

> As said in the previous post, I'm willing to maintain one LTR branch in
> saga, which we could switch eg for every qgis ltr release.
> https://sourceforge.net/p/saga-gis/mailman/message/35127843/

thanks for your replies. IMHO:
* the current situation is unsustainable
* the best option would be for saga developers to adopt a more standard
approach, e.g. avoid mixing up bugfixes (in point releases) and
changes in the parameters (only in major releases), and keep backward
compatibility for previous parameters in all life cycle of minor releases
* if this is not feasible, the approach by Johan (maintaining a saga
LTR) seems the best one, as it is a general solution, provided it is
also followed by an appropriate versioning and dependency management for
packages
* bundling is an option mainly on windows; not generally feasible on
most Linux distros
* forking and embedding involves significant maintenance costs; I'm
unsure it would be acceptable for more rigorous packagers, and it should
be kept as a really last resort
* another beautiful option would be a complete merge between the two
projects, unifying the code base, but probably I'm dreaming here :)

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu