[Qgis-developer] Announcing the release of QGIS 2.18 'Las Palmas'

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Nov 3 03:17:07 PDT 2016

QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System that runs on
Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and Windows.

We are very pleased to announce the release of QGIS 2.18 'Las Palmas' on the
October 21st.  Las Palmas was the host city to our developer meet up in
November 2015.

Latest Release

This is the latest and last release in the 2.x series.  This release provides
incremental improvements over our previous release. The majority of activity is
currently focussed towards the development of QGIS 3.0 which is our next
generation release planned for the end of the first quarter of 2017.

The current Long Term Release (LTR) remains version 2.14.x and will be
maintained until it's replaced by the first LTR based on QGIS 3.

New Features in QGIS 2.18 'Las Palmas'

QGIS 2.18 includes great new features, tweaks and enhancements to make the most
popular Free desktop GIS even more feature filled and useful.  Visit the
visual changelog that highlights some of the new additions
( http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog218/ ).

Whenever new features are added to software they introduce the possibility of
new bugs - if you encounter any problems with this release, please file a
ticket on the QGIS Bug Tracker ( http://hub.qgis.org ).

The source code and binaries for Windows, Debian and Ubuntu are already
available via the large download link on our home page: http://qgis.org.  More
packages will follow as soon as the package maintainers finish their work.
Please revisit the page if your platform is not available yet.

Thanks

Finally we would like to thank our official sponsors for the invaluable
financial support they provide to this project:

  GOLD Sponsor:	QGIS user group Switzerland

  SILVER Sponsor: GAIA mbH, Germany
  SILVER Sponsor: Land Vorarlberg, Austria,
  SILVER Sponsor: Office of Public Works, Flood Risk Management and Data Management Section, Ireland
  SILVER Sponsor: QGIS user group Germany

  BRONZE Sponsor: 2D3D.GIS, France
  BRONZE Sponsor: Ager Technology, Spain
  BRONZE Sponsor: Asociación Geoinnova, Spain
  BRONZE Sponsor: BGEO Open GIS, SL, Spain
  BRONZE Sponsor: Cawdor Forestry, United Kingdom
  BRONZE Sponsor: ChameleonJohn, United States
  BRONZE Sponsor: Dr. Kerth + Lampe Geo-Infometric GmbH, Germany
  BRONZE Sponsor: FORNAT AG, Switzerland
  BRONZE Sponsor: GEPOL Ltd., Poland
  BRONZE Sponsor: GFI - Gesellschaft für Informationstechnologie mbH, Germany
  BRONZE Sponsor: GIS Support Sp. z o.o., Poland
  BRONZE Sponsor: GKG Kassel, (Dr.-Ing. Claas Leiner), Germany
  BRONZE Sponsor: Gaia3D, Inc., South Korea
  BRONZE Sponsor: Gis3W, Italy
  BRONZE Sponsor: HostingFacts.com (Online only you), Estonia
  BRONZE Sponsor: KBB Underground Technologies GmbH
  BRONZE Sponsor: Lutra Consulting, United Kingdom
  BRONZE Sponsor: MappingGIS, Spain
  BRONZE Sponsor: Molitec, Italy
  BRONZE Sponsor: NCC Roads AB, Sweden
  BRONZE Sponsor: National Parks UK, United Kingdom
  BRONZE Sponsor: QGIS user group Denmark
  BRONZE Sponsor: QGIS user group Portugal
  BRONZE Sponsor: Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
  BRONZE Sponsor: SOLTIG (Soluciones en Tecnologías de Información Geográfica), Costa Rica
  BRONZE Sponsor: Septima, Denmark
  BRONZE Sponsor: TYC GIS, Spain
  BRONZE Sponsor: Teaching Jobs with Footprints, Canada
  BRONZE Sponsor: TerreLogiche, Italy
  BRONZE Sponsor: Trage Wegen vzw, Belgium
  BRONZE Sponsor: Urbsol, Australia
  BRONZE Sponsor: WhereGroup GmbH & Co. KG, Germany

Sponsoring QGIS helps us to fund our six monthly developer meetings, maintain
project infrastructure and fund bug fixing efforts. A complete list of current
sponsors is provided below - our very great thank you to all of our sponsors!

QGIS is Free software and you are under no obligation to pay anything to use it
- in fact we want to encourage people far and wide to use it regardless of what
your financial or social status is - we believe empowering people with spatial
decision making tools will result in a better society for all of humanity. If
you are able to support QGIS, you can donate.
( http://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/donations.html )

Happy QGISing!

Regards,

The QGIS Team!