[Qgis-developer] QGIS D3 DataVis Plugin Status Report

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 13:32:44 PDT 2016

This is on a windows 7 laptop using the OSGeo4W 64-bit network installer. I
currently am using the latest QGIS 2.16.3 64-bit. From the OSGeo4W Setup I
installed python-pip. From the shell I then did 'pip install plotly'.
During the install I got errors and doing a Google search it appears that I
needed to also do a pip install setuptools which I then installed.
Everything comes up but does not display the plot. By looking at the python
console it indicates where the temporary file was stored. If I launch it in
the web browser then the plot is displayed. I tried various version of QGIS
on windows all with the same results.

 I tried it using the VirtualBox OSGeoLive image using LUbuntu and
installed plotly there. In this case it worked so there is something wrong
with windows.

One other thing for windows in the file PlotDialog.ui where it has the
following:

 <customwidgets>
  <customwidget>
   <class>QgsColorButtonV2</class>
   <extends>QToolButton</extends>
   <header>qgscolorbuttonv2.h</header>
   <container>1</container>
  </customwidget>
 . . .

Every time you see <header>...h</header> it needs to be changed to
<header>qgis.gui</header>

I don't know what is wrong with this running on windows. I am excited about
this plugin and it has great potential. Here are several observations that
I have.

1. It must work without having the user add extra libraries so it has to be
self contained.
2. I realize this is very preliminary work, but right now you have the
ability to add expressions and I tried using the $id to get the row number
and use it as the X axis and it does not work. It generates a python error.
It appears you have not implemented expressions.
3. Good date and time support is important.
4. It would be wonderful if you could get aggregate types of functions
working such as what I am doing with my circular heat map. I am not sure
what the complexity of that would be in the 2D formats. In my case I am
counting the number of incidents across two variables of date and time to
create a heatmap.
5. Do you have plans for this to do frequency plots?
6. You are displaying this in a QGIS windows, but it would also be nice to
allow the user to export it to a file for posting the interactive plot on
the Internet.
7. If it would ever work such that it could be rendered in the print
composer that would be awesome.
8. Some charts need different labels for the parameters for example I don't
know what it means for a pie chart to have x and y axis. For pie chars you
have a label and a value.

All the best!!!