[Qgis-developer] Questions around xyz tile server connections in master 2

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Oct 4 02:08:15 PDT 2016

oh - SRP was indeed turned off. Silly me!

Still I find that the "standard" methods of adding layers in QGIS should
also be provided for the tile servers, such as "Layer management
toolbar" and Menu "Layer --> AddLayer --> Add tile map server layer". I
personally normally don't use the QGIS browser panel and this means that
I can't add tile maps if this panel is not open. Or maybe the xyz tile
map servers could be integrated with the WMS/WMTS layer loading
dialogue?

Thanks for your reply!

Andreas

On 2016-10-04 10:52, Saber Razmjooei wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> It works fine with my layers and the OTF on.
>
> Including some default services would be great, but unfortunately there are some restrictions in using the service.
>
> See the original discussions here:
>
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3473
>
> Cheers
>
> Saber
>
> FROM: Qgis-developer [mailto:qgis-developer-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] ON BEHALF OF Neumann, Andreas
> SENT: 04 October 2016 09:33
> TO: QGIS Developers List
> SUBJECT: Re: [Qgis-developer] Questions around xyz tile server connections in master 2
>
> So I found out that http://tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png [1] seems to work.
>
> However, if I add this OSM layer to my Swiss QGIS project (EPSG:21781) - the swiss data seems to appear in the atlantic, west of "Guinea Ecuatorial" ;-(
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2016-10-04 09:48, Neumann, Andreas wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a couple of questions around the new "Tileserver" layer support in QGIS desktop to be released with 2.18. I think the main commit is https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/f5b657db19eda7e72e6ed34eb7fe333c156acad0 - right?
>>
>> First, let me thank you a lot for this -  Martin and Lutra Consulting for developing/sponsoring it!
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> However, I wonder if the usability of the newly added tilserver is already good enough? Or at least I think it is not really obvious how to use it.
>>
>> 1. How can add a new connection to a tile server? Is the browser the only way? If yes, I hope that an additional entry to Layer --> Add Layer menu could be added - all other layer types can be added this way.
>>
>> 2. What is a correct URL? This is really hard to find out. F.e. I went to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_servers and tried to copy some URLs and failed about finding the correct syntax. I added the layer to the project --> nothing happened. No display, no error message. Maybe because the projections do not match? - or would QGIS reproject on the fly?
>>
>> 3. Can we add some popular tile map server URLs by default - similar to the QuickMapServices plugin?
>>
>> 4. How can one edit an existing tile server connection - e.b. change title or URL? Currently, one can only delete and re-add it.

> [...]

Links:
------
[1] http://tile.openstreetmap.org/%7bz%7d/%7bx%7d/%7by%7d.png
[2]