[Qgis-developer] Funding projects

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Oct 6 00:21:28 PDT 2016

Hi,

I believe that a small thing that we could do and which would already
help is to maintain a list of current projects that need funding - and
add the contact information of the developer, who wants to work on it.
Maybe we could re-use the QEPs and publish a list of current QEPs and
add financial/contact information. And then delegate all the financials
to the dev. In addition, we could advertise these projects on social
media and amont the local QGIS user groups. The dev can then decide
whether he wants to deal with really small donations or whether he wants
to set a minimum amount to contributions.

It would be a simple and effective way to make such projects more
visible to the public, while not adding a lot of bureaucracy.

Also - if we would do all the financials through QGIS.ORG it would mean
a lot of work for me and we'd have to deal with tax issues, different
country laws, etc. - something I would like to avoid. And in general the
targetted donations would usually not meet the overall target, etc. It
is better if the dev who wants to work on an improvement would deal with
such issues.

Andreas