[Qgis-developer] Abstract GUI base class

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 05:50:29 PDT 2016

Hi

We are considering porting our abstract GUI class from KADAS Albireo to
QGIS 3.0, basically what was done here [1][2]. Summary is that qgisapp
contains all functionalities which are gui-logic independent and
qgsclassicapp contains the logic tying functionalities to the gui
implementation.

The advantages of this are, besides better code separation (which IMO
qgisapp could benefit from since it's become a bit of a dumping ground),
that it easier for people to write custom guis for QGIS (i.e. very
application specific GUIs exposing only certain functionalities etc)
while sharing the codebase with upstream.

QGIS 3.0 would be a good moment to perform such refactoring. So I'd like
to hear a short feedback whether people would welcome such a change in
principle before moving on to drafting a QEP.

Thanks
Sandro

[1]
https://github.com/sourcepole/kadas-albireo/blob/master/src/app/qgisapp.h