[Qgis-developer] Preparing the Changelog for 2.18

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Thu Oct 6 14:29:50 PDT 2016

Hi Even

> On 05 Oct 2016, at 10:54 PM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:
>
> Le mercredi 05 octobre 2016 22:33:04, Tim Sutton a écrit :
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have started preparing the changelog for 2.18:
>>
>> http://changelog.qgis.org/en/qgis/version/2.18.0/
>>
>> The usual caveat applies: Please do not publicize this link until the
>> changelog is completed and the release is ready.
>>
>> If anyone has worked on newsworthy features for 2.18 please add your
>> proposed entries there (I am still working back through the commit log
>> adding any obvious ones I can see there, I will finish that tomorrow
>> night). You should be able to sign in to the site and post new entries
>> using your GitHub user credentials. If that presents any problem for you,
>> please just email me directly with the text and ideally a screenshot, and
>> I will add it for you. Also if you can improve text and graphics for
>> existing entries, please feel free to submit your suggestions.
>>
>> I will be adding a few notes at the top of the changelog description of the
>> upcoming feature freeze breakage for 2.18.1 (to add DWG support) and
>> 2.18.2 GeoPackage provider improvements. @Even could you provide a little
>> detail about the planned GeoPackage improvements for 2.18.2?
>
> Tim,
>
> Hum, I'm not sure if this will go into 2.18. Was more intended to be for
> master and possibly backported in master_2 if feasible. But I guess if
> master_2 is doable, backport to 2.18.X could also be done (although there will
> be non trivial changes in DB manager to separate the spatialite code path and
> GPKG code path)

Thats OK. Basically in Bonn we agreed that we would leave the door open for some small feature additions improvements in 2.18.1 (DWG provider) and 2.18.2 (GPKG enhancements if read) in order to avoid having a situation where these improvements languish in master for an unspecified time before the 3.0 release comes out. If you do not need to take advantage of this exception that is also fine.

Hope that makes sense! Thanks for the details below. I think I will just put something generic in the changelog mentioning that my comments above and some bullets from your outline below.

Regards

Tim