[Qgis-developer] About my plugins ...

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Sun Oct 16 06:00:21 PDT 2016

Hi

In addition to Martin and Nathan's great replies I can add:

> On 16 Oct 2016, at 6:26 PM, Geo DrinX <geodrinx at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> [Set up] an automatic procedure (antivirus, automatic control sources to figure out harmful instructions, etc.) that warns the existence of problems.

This was the first option we looked in to. Do you know of some good tools for detecting malicious code in python? It is a hard problem to solve and simple things like preventing shell calls are not productive or effective. In the end we decided to take a social approach to peer review (which is a completely different thing to censorship). By the way I am not averse to some limited censorship of plugins if they go against our code of conduct [1] and diversity statement [2] for example, I would support banning them. I think any reasonable community would expect that of us....

[1] https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/codeofconduct/codeofconduct.html
[2] https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/codeofconduct/diversitystatement.html

A case in point might be a plugin aimed at belittling a particular ethnic group or gender identification or which otherwise promotes intolerance. Thankfully such a situation has never arisen. Our friendly non-combative community is something that makes the QGIS community a joy to participate in. Lets try to keep that in mind whilst having this discussion too and focus on practical, achievable solutions if you have concerns.

My best regards

Tim

---

Tim Sutton