[Qgis-developer] Funding projects

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Oct 17 00:53:18 PDT 2016

Hi

On 10/16/2016 09:06 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 06 Oct 2016, at 10:26 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it
>> <mailto:cavallini at faunalia.it>> wrote:
>>

>> One more thing we have been discussing is to include a link to that info
>> directly in the QGIS interface, for an easier discovery by the hundreds
>> of thousands users that never visit our blogs, ML, etc.
>> Of course we should find the right balance between visibility and
>> unobtrusiveness.
>
> Given how effective our post-download pop up is on the web site, I think
> that using our first open page to 'speak' to our users is definitely
> something to resurrect. It would be great to provide:
>
> * a list of recent projects (as we have now)
> * a list of recent blog articles from planet.qgis.org
> <http://planet.qgis.org>

The original welcome page had that but it wasn't well received, so I
removed it again in

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/95c377a607757b4cc9d03a6e399b5516d0b44dcd

> * a list of current crowd funding projects and their funding progress
> * a panel for us to directly send notifications to users e.g. 'QGIS
> 2.14.7 is out, please upgrade!'

That's already in place. Information is read from
https://ubuntu.qgis.org/version.txt

It could be improved to fetch different files based on LTR/Non-LTR.

> * links for funding and sponsoring QGIS

In general I am in favor of adding all this to the welcome page. It can
be used to unobtrusively raise awareness and it's easy to disable if
some people don't like it.

Matthias