[Qgis-developer] Plans after friday's release?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Oct 20 01:56:10 PDT 2016

On 10/20/2016 10:47 AM, RĂ©gis Haubourg wrote:

>     >
>     > Let's be more flexible and allow ourself to break the strict rule that
>     > an LT version can only appear once a year, every third release. Rules
>     > are here to break where useful/necessary.
>
>     It makes sense to me - let's see, if 2.18 will be a good, stable version
>     we can promote it to LTR.
>
>     All the best, and thanks.

Some points to consider

 * 2.14 has been promoted as LTR since around end of June,
   so for about 3 months. I guess many organizations are only
   evaluating/planning its rollout.

 * Organizations switching over to 2.14 have done this with a year
   of upcoming patch releases in mind.

 * Nobody prevents anyone from using 2.18 at any point in time.

 * Allowing non-intrusive features to enter 2.18 and releasing it as
   LTR at the same time imposes orthogonal requirements.

Matthias