[Qgis-developer] Retire dxf2shp for 3.0?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 02:01:49 PDT 2016

On 24 October 2016 at 18:37, Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nyall, thanks for raising this issue.
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just wondering - can we remove the dxf2shp convertor core c++ plugin
>> for 3.0? Here my rationale:
>>
>> - dxf works without converting
>> - no one is maintaining it
>> - conversion can be done using OGR itself
>> - doesn't really belong in QGIS
>>
>> Would anyone object if I remove it?
>
> there are also other candidates I guess. Alex Bruy recently ported the
> algorithms from the "Interpolation" plugin to Processing. What about
> "evis" and "oracle spatial georaster"?

Also zonal stats: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3662

dxf2shp was the lowest hanging fruit. But I would like to see the list
of installed c++ plugins culled considerably (and the remainder moved
to python plugins ideally!)

Note that the processing interpolation algorithm doesn't 100%
reproduce what's available through the plugin yet, so that's not
suitable for removing at this stage. Evis I don't think should be
removed until there's a suitable replacement. I'm not sure about the
oracle raster one and whether that's still a useful feature or not.

Nyall