[Qgis-developer] Folder repetition of SVG symbols

Akbar Gumbira akbargumbira at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 06:52:29 PDT 2016

Hi

Regarding this problem, I issued it here (http://hub.qgis.org/issues/15439)
but I can't open Redmine right now (down?).  It's easily reproducible (I
included the steps to reproduce it there). I felt that it should be easy to
fix.

Hi Neumann

> What I don't understand is why QGIS automatically adds such SVG folders
> without asking the user?
> I can understand that the central SVG folder of the application is
> automatically added by default - but why adding an SVG folder from the
> users folder by default? In my opinion this is bad behaviour by QGIS. Users
> should consciously add such settings and understand the implications.
> In my case QGIS added C:/Users/username/.qgis2/svg
> I never asked QGIS to do that and I never intend so store SVG symbols
> there. I add my symbols at folder locations where all of my local users can
> share and benefit from each others contributions, typically, shared
> resources.
> I also have the same issue that I usually have 3-5 parallel QGIS
> installations on my Windows machine and I get the central folder of each of
> them. Not very nice ... and it slows down QGIS. Shouldn't QGIS leave
> settings as they are if the .qgis2 settings folder already exists?

Before QGIS 2.16 those paths are already saved in this object
(mDefaultSvgPaths),
and are used already in other features (e.g the tree when selecting SVG for
setting SVG marker) it's just that in QGIS 2.16, those paths are added in
the dialog in Option in SVG Path. I am not sure the reason behind that but
perhaps it's for explicitness (?)