[Qgis-developer] double handed RangeSlider (for TimeManager)?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Sep 9 06:28:18 PDT 2016

Hi Dev's,

TimeManager plugin is currently working with a fixed 'range' like 10
minutes (querying the data in a 10 min range) etc etc.

Current used QtSlider just shows one point (the start of the 'range').

I'm wondering if it is doable to create a custom QgsDoubleQtSlider which
more or less looks like something like this:

https://prod-foundation-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/part/part_image/29697/jqm_range-sliders.png

I googled and fiddled around a little with this example:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17361885/range-slider-in-qt-two-handles-in-a-qslider

but ended up with this not really ok looking and behaving thingie:

http://storage6.static.itmages.com/i/16/0909/s_1473427194_4805382_e928b5c414.png

So my question: did somebody already look into this, or maybe even has
something like this available?

I'm hoping for example that having such a slider would make it also
possible to have independent reacting start en and slots: so you can
'fix the start' and then move the end only so your range will actually
be: "from start to current point". For example for giving you the
illusion to show the 'growing city' when having the building dates of
all houses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkOJQ-PBp-Y
(for a nice 'movie' from Steven Ottens about 'building Amsterdam')

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde