[Qgis-developer] QGIS 3 plugins - require implementation as processing algs?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sun Sep 11 23:08:46 PDT 2016

Il 12/09/2016 07:33, Victor Olaya ha scritto:
> During the Girona hackfest, I added a new functionality, to create a
> plugin with a Processing provider, directly from the toolbox. You just
> create a bunch of Processing scripts (unless the algorithm is really
> complex, it should be possible and easier to add it as a script), and
> then select them and create a provider plugin with them.

Hi Nyall+, all,
this is a very good and timely idea, and I fully support it.
I regularly suggest all new suitable plugin writers to move their plugin
as a Processing subplugin.
The weak point I see is how to evaluate which plugins can and cannot
become a Processing subplugin. Perhaps we could have a look and see how
easy the classification is? The more grey areas the more difficult will
be to implement this. Maybe we can meet on IRC and see how it goes on a
sample of plugins?
Obviously, clear and sleek documentation, featuring prominently is one
of the keys here. You'll be surprised knowing how many plugin authors
started a new one just because they didn't know the same function was
available elsewhere.
Thanks Victor for your offer of help. I think this is the second key for
the success of this initiative.
Obviously I'm available to help here.
All the best.
--