[Qgis-developer] QGIS 3 plugins - require implementation as processing algs?

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 03:46:18 PDT 2016

> What (I think) makes a distinction between a plugin and a processing
> one, is that a plugin offers a complex interaction with the user (so gui
> interaction) , while in processing the algorithm is the actual center of
> gravity.
> But maybe I'm wrong in this analysis. Looking at my own plugins, it is
> often the gui-interaction which (for me) makes it harder to me to move
> it to processing...

I am currently working on a new architecture for parameters (based on
a work started by Arnaud Morvan), which will make that easier, since
parameter widgets emit signals when their value changes, and that can
be used by other parameters widgets to change their content.

However, some plugins might not be feasible to adapt, which is fine as
well. You can have your own UI, with a richer behaviour, but still
have its functionality exposed as a Processing algorithm, which will
make it more useful.

There are quite a few plugins that can clearly be adapted to
Processing and have very simple UIs. We should start with those ones,
I guess

Cheers