[Qgis-developer] standard way for custom plugin python dependencies

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 05:43:55 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Akbar Gumbira <akbargumbira at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> Is there any pointer to the discussion? If it's possible for me to help, I
> could may be make a proposal for next year GSoC on this :)

Nice idea!

Please go ahead :)

> @Jachym: AFAIK, most plugins now just ship the needed libraries along with
> it or ask the users to install them. There are some libraries that are
> already shipped into QGIS from the core python plugins (e.g jinja), you
> might want to check if what you need is there already.

A new metadata (external_deps: text) field was introduced for this purpose
but there is nothing implemented inside QGIS for now:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Django/commit/6546a2ab54fd01b6e94b921b610c31b619e99979#diff-536e872043014a84818f87dc640b2d4d

A common pattern seems shipping dependencies with the plugin as Python eggs.

> On Sep 22, 2016 19:14, "Matthias Kuhn" <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jachym,
>>
>> Unfortunately not. This has been discussed and is something that will
>> certainly be added at some point but so far nobody implemented it
>> (basically because of its cross-platform nature I think).
>>
>> Your possibilities are:
>>
>>  * Document and print nice warnings
>>  * Ship the dependency packaged with your plugin
>>  * Fix it by adding dependency management in QGIS
>>
>> Cheers
>> Matthias
>>
>> On 09/22/2016 02:08 PM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > we've developed an (python) plugin for QGIS, which is somehow using
>> > (among others) nice "requests" python library. We use it the standard
>> way
>> >
>> > import requests
>> >
>> > But when we distributed the plugin to other computers, it turned out,
>> > they do not have it installed.
>> >
>> > Is there any standard way, how to distribute dependencies along with
>> > python plugin? Something in metadata.txt? Some requirements file?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Jachym

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it