[Qgis-developer] [QGIS Server] Maintain it and create a team

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 00:00:31 PDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Tom Palan <thomas at palan.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my company uses QGIS server for providing infrastructure GIS to
> communities. We are currently starting with the first customers, and losing
> QGIS server would require fundamental changes to our system.
> So we are very interested in 1. keeping QGIS server 2. providing dev time
> & money to make sure this is maintained for the future.
>
> We implemented some small changes (loading project configuration from
> database) & fixes (well, more "hacks", e.g. for working with project
> variables in QGIS server). I would be happy to provide these patches to
> anyone interested.
>
> So, count us in on QGIS Server!

Thanks Tom,

any help would be highly appreciated, if you think that your code would be
useful for others and you wish to contribute, the best way to do it is
through a pull request.

If the changes are deep and touch the API, then a QEP (QGIS Enhancement
Proposal) would be also a good starting point for a public discussion about
your proposed changes.

If your company can contribute some money, you can probably contact the
QGIS Project Steering Comitee (psc)  and donate some money for the Server
project. A dedicated grant program could be a viable option to spin up the
server refactoring and help devs to allocate some paid time to this
activity.

Cheers

> regards,
> Tom
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 02:45:37PM +0200, René-Luc Dhont wrote:
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > The Qt4 and Python 2.7 is going away from QGIS master, following this PR:
> > Require python 3 and qt5 https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/3510
> >
> > But a part of the project directly suffered of this: QGIS Server. As
> explain
> > on the Pull Request 'Require python 3 and qt5', all the QGIS Server tests
> > has been disabled. This means that QGIS Server is not maintained with
> > automatic tests for QGIS 3.
> >
> > So Mathias Khun has opened an issue about QGIS 3 API to remove QGIS
> Server
> > from QGIS master.
> > https://github.com/qgis/qgis3.0_api/issues/63
> > The discussion is opened but I don't know if all the developpers are
> aware
> > of this.
> >
> > For our team, 3Liz (Michaël, David and I), the QGIS Server is a big part
> of
> > the QGIS project and it will really be a pitty if it disappears. A part
> of
> > the QGIS users are interesting in it because they can published web
> services
> > directly from their work. So QGIS Server is a reason for them to use
> QGIS.
> > Many users like the part of using QGIS desktop to configure easily many
> > options for publication, and use WMS, WFS, WCS and event WPS with
> different
> > clients (one of them is Lizmap).
> > We take much time (and about half of it without funds) to keep this
> feature
> > alive and up to date with QGIS improvements, and are willing to continue
> > down this path (we believe in it and have many good feedbacks from users)
> >
> > We would like to raise interest around QGIS Server, and report here that
> > this part of QGIS is really used in production by companies and research
> > centers, and maintained by some devs, and not just a QGIS side project
> "for
> > fun".
> >
> > We just discussed with Alessandro Pasotti and we would like to create a
> team
> > to maintain and discuss about the evolution of QGIS Server. We would
> like to
> > use this opportunity to improve QGIS Server and make it more maintainable
> > and granular.
> >
> > Some questions to gather reactions :
> > * Who is interested in maintaining QGIS Server ?
> > * Who is interested in participating in  QGIS Server (code, ideas,
> review,
> > tests) ?
> > * Please share any ideas to enhance (refactor) QGIS Server

> [...]

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it