[Qgis-developer] Future of the Globe plugin in QGIS 3 with Qt5

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 05:28:16 PDT 2016

Hi

I've had a look recently at adding osgEarth 2.8 support (and produced a
tentative patch [1]), however the rendering is completely broken. I've
not had time to investigate yet, but it looks like osgEarth2.8 puts a
hard minimum requirement on GLSL 3.30, i.e. debug log output:

FRAGMENT glCompileShader "main(fragment)" FAILED
FRAGMENT Shader "main(fragment)" infolog:
0:1(10): error: the compatibility profile is not supported
0:1(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are:
1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES

This makes me uncomfortable: I'm pretty sure many users running somewhat
older distros or older hardware will hit this. So upgrading to osgEarth
2.8 just for the sake of upgrading and braking the globe for many user
is in my view not the best of plans.

Technically nothing speaks against building osgEarth2.7 against Qt5 (for
clarity: osgEarth 2.7 supports Qt5 alread) and keeping that version
packaged for the forseable future.

Alternatively, distros wanting to upgrade could keep osgEarth 2.7
packaged as osgEarth27 and renaming library names (i.e. libosgEarthXXX
-> libosgEarth27XXX) and the header dirs. Up to this point it would be
fairly easy, the problem comes with osgPlugins - I'm not sure if it is
possible to install multiple versions simultaneously in
/usr/lib64/osgPlugins-3.4.0/ or similar.

Happy to hear other suggestions.

Best
Sandro

[1] https://smani.fedorapeople.org/osgEarth28.patch