[QGIS-it-user] Fwd: [Qgis-developer] Update on the work we are doing for an overhauled metadata system in QGIS 3.0

Paolo Cavallini cavallini a faunalia.it
Mer 5 Apr 2017 01:46:45 PDT

Salve,
una buona notizia, e un'ottima occasione per contribuire, nel modo che
preferite, ad una efficiente gestione dei metadati.
Cordiali saluti.

-------- Messaggio Inoltrato --------

Hi devs and users (with apologies for cross posting)

I just wanted to raise a bit of awareness for the work we are doing to
build a new metadata system for the upcoming QGIS 3.0 release. We are
planning to work in phases, with the current work addressing the first 5
'work packages', namely:

1) Defining a well thought out but simple QGIS specific schema for
internal representation of metadata (led by Angelos Tzotsos)
2) Implementing a QgsMetadata utility class that will be a property of
every map layer in QGIS (led by Nyall Dawson)
3) Implementing a data store for storing metadata (led by Joana Simoes)
4) Implementing a metadata viewer for layer metadata
(see https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/4316 for the first work landing
already on this) (led by myself and Etienne Trimaille)
8) Implement a metadata editor for layer metadata (led by myself and
Etienne Trimaille)

You can find out more about these work packages at our QEP (QGIS
Enhancement Proposal) here:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/91

There are a number of other work packages (5-7, 9-12) that we plan to
implement in a follow up round which deal with project ('service') level
metadata, along with some other great things we have in mind for
metadata down the line. Items 1,2,4 and 8 above are currently funded
(thanks to our friends at WorldBank/GFDRR (https://www.gfdrr.org) and
NINA(http://www.nina.no/english)). Item 3 above is still in need of
funding (8,500 USD) so if your organisation can help, please contact me!
If you can't help with funding, we would still love to get your feedback
- particularly on the metadata schema that has been developed by Angelos
Tzotsos and Joana Simoes. You can find their proposed schema here:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/4330/files

We encourage you to make inline comments in the pull request or contact
us offlist to discuss if needed.

Best regards

Tim
—