[Qgis-psc] Re: Financing question

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Mon Dec 14 23:50:28 PST 2009

Hi Ray

I can summarise the discussion briefly as follows:

- we are interested!
- we would require that any work also be released under GPL for
various legal and social reasons dual licensing would not be an
option.
- normal working rules for code management should apply viz. the PSC
would have final say about any new features to be added to the code
base. Features which are not applicable to a broad user base may not
be allowed into core (at the discretion of PSC and developer
community).

We need to be sensitive to the fact that the QGIS Intellectual
Property base has been developed by many developers, translators,
organisations etc. and we must not allow any appearance of
favouritism, take over attempt etc.

Through the years a number of organisations have injected quite large
amounts of money into the development of QGIS (usually in the form of
paying for developer time to develop certain features / bug fixes
etc). This has worked well with our existing model and we believe if
your backers followed a similar approach it would have the best chance
of success.

We really would welcome injection of capital into the project to take
QGIS to the 'next level' and we thank you for looking at ways to bring
this to fruition.

Perhaps Gary and other PSC members have something to add / amend from
my recollection of our meeting?

Best regards

Tim

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Ray Gardener ha scritto:
>> Hi Paolo, I was wondering if you had any new information?
>>
>> Ray
>
> Hi Ray.
> In the recent PSC meeting we talked about your proposal, and we discussed about the
> possible problems and opportunities involved. We asked Gary Sherman, the project
> leader, to contact you. In case he didn't yet (he's quite busy in this period), I
> think we can discuss about your proposal with the full PSC (cc: now).
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini: http://www.faunalia.it/pc

 * QGIS programming services