[Qgis-psc] maintainers

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Sun Nov 14 06:12:41 PST 2010

Hi list,

> We have areas (components) well covered by a maintainer, usually because
> he has contracts that cover their work. Other areas (python plugins,
> grass, etc.) are not so safe. I think it would be nice to appoint a
> maintainer, and find some resources to keep him working regularly on it.
> We could open a call for donations or sponsorship specifically dedicated
> to this.
> Any thoughts?

Do you have an idea of the amount of money needed to cover a maintainer ? At
least the minimal amount needed ?

This is a general problem in OpenSource business model : how to fund the less
sexy work. New feature development is not so hard to get contract for, but
code refactoring, bugfix, UI polishing, features maintenance is harder.
Solutions for companies are often to sell support for the software, which
enables to get time for those tasks. Otherwise you're right, donation and
sponsorship is the way.

Vincent

Vincent Picavet - vincent.picavet at oslandia.com
www.oslandia.com - Engineering your GIS