[Qgis-psc] Forum and blog hosting

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Wed Nov 17 23:20:15 PST 2010

Hi

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 18/11/2010 04:48, Gary Sherman ha scritto:
>
>> The blog doesn't get much use---the PSC may wish to discuss whether it
>> is worth retaining.
>
> To me, +1 to close it, and move the useful info to wiki pages. Tim's blog
> has become the unofficial but authoritative QGIS blog by now.

I still use the QGIS blog for official release announcements etc.
Perhaps we can do the announcements via qgis.org though and do away
with the blog - it would be nice to have an archive of its content
somewhere though.

>> The forum gets a lot of use, even though most developers never visit it.
>> It is a pretty good community support mechanism.
>
> I see a problem here: I know of several users who were disappointed not
> having feedback from their post. Perhaps we should encourage the use of the
> ML instead?

I never look in the forums but I think those that like forums use it
and appreciate it. My suggestion would be to move it onto the VM.

Gary one of the things we chatted about on the side at the hackfest
was the 'hit by a bus' scenario of one or more members of the PSC
dissapears off the map. There are a number of resources e.g. QGIS.ORG
dns, svn access rights, mailing list admin passwords etc. that are
pivotal in keeping the project running. We would like to collate all
this information into a single resource pack given to each psc member.
We can distribute it securely e.g. GPG signed & encrypted text file.
Currently you are the only one with control of the QGIS.org domain. At
the risk of sounding like I am asking for the keys to your car :-P,
would you be willing to share control of the domain with the PSC?
Are you ok with the idea of generally collating all admin related
account details into a single canonical secure document for sharing
with the psc?

Also to Gary: Btw despite us sounding like a bunch of zombies, it was
a real pleasure to have you skype in to the hack fest. The meeting
itself was probably a bit uneventful but having you particpating was
certainly a highlight for many. Something we should turn into a
tradition at hackfests I think!

> All the best, and thanks Gary for your work.
> --
> http://www.faunalia.it/pc

 * QGIS programming services
 * FOSS Consulting Services