[Qgis-psc] Re: qgis.eu and other domains

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Fri Nov 26 05:25:41 PST 2010

Hi

Oh wow - luckily the qgis.co.za domain was still available so I am
quickly registering it. Maybe we can just ask people in different
countries to register QGIS.??.?? and point it to qgis.org.

Perhaps we have some leverage to get the domain taken back in poland
due to trademark infringement? Perhaps we need to register a trademark
and get some mean french lawyers on our side?

BTW Borys lets use the mailing list - people complain when we discuss
things under the radar and I agree we should keep our discussions
open.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Borys Jurgiel <borysiasty at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello PSC,
>
> Last time I'm irritated more and more by domain hunters. Especially, when I
> go to www.qgis.pl and all I can see is penis massage advert. Our community
> in Poland is forced to use quantum-gis.pl instead.
>
> For that reason, I'm just registering qgis.eu to protect it from such
> adverts. I'm redirecting it for qgis.org. I can mantain it, however, of
> course, I'll be happy to transfer it for more suitable guarantor. Keeping it
> for myself is definitely not my goal :)
>
> Sooner or later this domain will become very valuable for companies
> providing EU-wide support. Then we will be able to keep it under control and
> keep it non-profit or license it for someone not bringing shame on us.
>
> Please let's think about qgis image in various countries. Now, when the
> breakthrough is a fact and armies of merchants are getting interested, it
> becomes urgent...
>
> Regards.
>
> B.

 * QGIS programming services