[Qgis-psc] Short report from the Far East

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Thu Nov 8 16:04:49 PST 2012

Hi all.
FOSS4G.jp is now over, and I would like to share a few conclusions about
this event and the almost parallel FOSS4G.kr.
The first and foremost evidence is that QGIS is really booming here
(more in jp than in kr, it seems), and it took the flight in the last
year. It is widespread from small local government up to ministries, and
the trend is still accelerating.
Translation of the interface and the manual is especially important.
The main stumbling block for a more effective cooperation with the
international community appear language more than anything else, even
though some cultural attitudes may make the interactions slightly more
difficult.
Local users have a few specific problems, mainly related to double-byAll
the best.te characters and local projections, but these should be very
easy to solve,with proper collaboration.
I had seminars+workshops in Seoul, Tskukuba, Sapporo, Tokyo, and Osaka:
now a few hundreds of people know QGIS and its community a bit better,
hopefully this will result in a more active cooperation.
Maybe we can forward these notes to other lists, not sure about it,
please send your opinions.
All the best, and thanks for giving me this extremely interesting and
challenging opportunity.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu