[Qgis-psc] RFC for Data Frames

Benedict Holland benedict.m.holland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 12:37:48 PST 2013

Hi Tim,

I think once I start working on this it will become quite apparent if I can
make 1, if I can't make 1 but don't break anything I make 2, or I can't
make 1, break a mess of code and so result in 3. Currently I see that the
TOC and Legend are tied directly to a "master" project, though it is
currently not called that. I think it would make more sense to push a
Legend onto the QgsSubproject and I think I have a great use case in mind.
ArcGIS currently allows multiple maps to be displayed in their Layout View.
If we mimic this on the Composer side then we would have say, 6 maps of
Africa, displaying different wildlife and oil reserves. This example is
pulled directly out of ArcGIS desktop v10.0. The Legend would have to be
unique for each map but there would also have to be a global Legend
generated from the Legends and allow the user to select which one they want
displayed. The QgsSubproject legend would be tied to each of the maps in
the Composer and each map would be able to generate their own but the
canvas would be able to generate a Legend from each of the maps that are
currently active in the Composer.

We might even be able to get this for relatively little work depending on
how the legend is generated.

Actually I do have a question regarding a lot of this. I have been diving
into the code and I see that many objects are managed using XML. Is there a
reason why XML is so heavily used and should I be trying to think in terms
of exporting objects and manipulating objects with XML or via private class
objects. I have learned to be very careful of using XML as it is very
difficult to debug and the code is not intuitive. For example, adding a
layer to a project currently directly edits XML somehow. Adding an object
to the Legend directly edits the XML of the Legend, though the legend also
uses a dictionary like object. Basically, the usefulness I have found for
XML is to load objects from a saved state, magically create variables from
text (though I am still unsure how this works and I worked on a project
which did this for over a year), and pass objects around the internet. It
is not that I dislike XML, but I dislike using XML.

Thanks,
~Ben