[Qgis-psc] Proposal to support multi-threaded development

Peter Wells peter.wells at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 11:36:23 PST 2013

Hi all,

Sorry I have entered the conversation quite late (just registered on the PSC
list and read through the previous mails...).

When initially looking for funding for this work we did consider the PSC but
after discussions amongst ourselves, did not directly approach them as we
figured that the PSC is a charitable organisation with limited budget and
hence we did not feel comfortable asking them directly for funding.

I'm not sure technically how the planned MT rendering work relates to work
that Marco has done in QGIS Enterprise - more of a technical question for
Martin (as well as that of the subject of Alvaros's work).

In terms of the points Paolo made, any funding would go directly to Lutra
(Martin is part of our team so it indirectly funds his efforts).  In terms
of completion of the work, Martin has already made good progress on the
required tasks.  We (Lutra) are fully committed to finishing the work and
getting something useful and polished merged into the main code but it's
always nice to gather as much help as possible along the way.

I also fully appreciate Paolo's point about funding features on a
first-come-first-serve basis (as opposed to voting on spending
democratically).  Donating funds like this without some kind of procedure in
place to do this in the fairest manner may end up setting some kind of
undesirable precedent for the long term.

Kind regards,

Pete

Peter Wells

Lutra Consulting
23 Chestnut Close, Burgess Hill, RH15 8HN
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
Tel:  +44 (0)1444 848012
Mob:  +44 (0)7704 781683