[Qgis-psc] Managing plugin queue

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Apr 4 11:12:03 PDT 2014

Il 04/04/2014 09:36, Richard Duivenvoorde ha scritto:

> Cool. THANKS Paolo for doing this task!

It's proving much more time consuming than I would have expected. Now I
see why we had such a long queue :)

> Mmm, I would eventually drop those, IF nobody else wants to maintain them.
> With Debian I received an email about so called 'abandoned packages',
> looking for new maintainers.
> We could do something like that: write an email to dev/user/community,
> and ask if anybody wants to take over maintainership of the plugin.
> If so: solved
> If not: drop plugin (maybe we should have a new status for that in the
> repo: 'abandoned': meaning approved in history, no maintainer so NOT
> showing up in plugins.xml (and QGIS) but still to be found in
> plugins.qgis.org?

sounds good to me. if we have no time for developing these functions, we
could just mark them as deprecated, perhaps adding a note about the reason.

> I would not discourage junior/beginning plugin makers to make their
> plugins available. So as long as they provide some email address and
> maybe a download link for the latest code, that is fine with me.
> IF such a plugin is successfull/wanted then a more experienced dev
> should step up and move it to Github/Bitbucket or whatever together with
> the original maintainer in my opinion.

I agree fully we should not discourage anyone. However, I'm finding
people generally willing to do it, perhaps with a little help.
Often they do not upload their plugin to a repo+tracker just because
they do not realize the advantages.
I'm against forcing, I'm trying to invite them. It takes longer than
just accepting (or refusing) them, but I think the result is worth the
while.
Without a bugtracker, people will get frustrated finding bugs and not
knowing how to report it.
Without a code repository, developers will not be able to help you
improving the plugin.
Remember that the address of the author is only visible to plugin admin,
not to users.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu