[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Please help promote FOSS4G on the QGIS site

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Tue Apr 15 21:51:51 PDT 2014

On 04/15/2014 11:42 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:

>         It may be good for us to revisit the front page at some point - its
>         actually not very intuitive that you have to scroll down to see more
>         info and I wonder how many people actually do it. Richard /
>         Anita what
>         do you think?
>
>     I would like to see the "green" buttons up a little higher so no
>     scroll is required. Maybe a sidebar with stacked buttons (doesn't
>     have to even have a border).
>
> Yeah some side space for the green buttons and a high profile item (e.g.
> FOSS4G, crowd funding drive etc.) would be great. It would also be good
> to get the sponsors logos somehow visible (I appreciate I am probably
> trying to bend the laws of pixel space here :-) ).

While I agree with you both that we should revisit front- and
landingpages, please keep in mind that we are 'responsive' now. Meaning
good usable on phones and tablets, on which you are used to scroll down.
All is Bootstrap based, so a row/section with 12 columns that when you
resize your window will fall apart in separate rows, usable on smaller
devices.

So we could create a 'section' in which the green buttons are put
stacked in 5(4) columns and then a 'high profile item/ad space' for the
other 7(8) columns, something like:
http://imgur.com/ouEhdsJ

Personally I do not like these huge dark/light gray buttons, they are
too big in my opinion, and on the landingpages (other then front), we
actually have a double navigation structure because those buttons also
appear as a sort of menu in top, which upon click only bring you to the
button. But maybe that is something for Eva to solve.

According to other ideas, please just try them out, building a html is
pretty easy. Themes/html for landing and frontpages are here:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/tree/master/themes/qgis-theme
Just try and share an image of it with us to decide.

@Tim, reason you do not see it is because I try to be gentle to the
server disks (there is an issue there) and do not rebuild that often.

I'm planning to let point DNS to qgis2 for a while so we could maybe
upgrade qgis server (which then only hosts redmine/wiki/git stuff?) if
somebody volunteers for that. After the cleanup and the hardware is ok
again we could DNS point to both qgis and qgis2?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde