[Qgis-psc] UK QGIS user group

Peter Wells peter.wells at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 03:25:41 PST 2014

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your email.  I have CC’d the QGIS psc and community lists as
there are ongoing discussions in the former about this subject.

Raising funding for the QGIS UK User group and Core QGIS project is a great
idea.  The UK user group is doing an excellent job of promoting
collaboration and knowledge sharing within similar public sector
organisations.  The QGIS Core Project also benefits greatly from donations
which it uses for many things, some of which include facilitating developer
conferences (two per year) and paying its ongoing infrastructure costs (e.g.
hosting).

However, I believe that inviting sponsorship from companies may affect the
independence of the UK User Group which is, at present, an independent group
driven by its users.  If the user group is to be driven by sponsorship money
then a set of clear and transparent guidelines should be put in place
publically (such as the ones used at qgis.org
<http://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/sponsorship/sponsorship.
html> ) to clearly describe what sponsors get in return for their money.

I believe there are two steps for a longer-term and more sustainable
approach, both of which are funded by the users themselves:

1.       Short-term:  Charge a nominal fee on user-group tickets.

a.       £15-20 per ticket would more than cover the cost of catering.

b.      There already appears to be the infrastructure in place to allow
OSGeo UK to handle the money.

c.       Attendees suggest / vote where any surplus funds are donated
(during the meeting).

The advantages of this first option are its simplicity and the fact that
events are ‘contained’ in terms of funding.  All those who paid in money are
present to have their say of where any excess cash goes.  The main
disadvantage is having limited spending power (compared with option 2
below).

2.       Long-term:  Charge user group members an annual subscription

a.       Change membership to group members (e.g. £100 per year).

b.      Funds cover X user group meets per year.

c.       Members can vote on how additional funds should be spent.

d.      I believe this is more aligned with the Swiss model

Although harder to implement and manage, this model would give the user
group the ability to fund significant features / enhancements / bug fixes in
QGIS which is exactly the position that the Swiss user group are presently
enjoying.

Let’s focus on continuing to be a growing, high quality and independent user
group.

Kind regards,

Pete

Peter Wells

Lutra Consulting
23 Chestnut Close, Burgess Hill, RH15 8HN
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk
Tel:  +44 (0)1444 848012
Mob:  +44 (0)7704 781683