[Qgis-psc] Licenses stuff was: Re: [Qgis-developer] one email address for plugin approvers

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Thu Feb 13 07:46:29 PST 2014

Hi Richard,

Le jeudi 13 février 2014 13:08:27, Richard Duivenvoorde a écrit :
> On 13-02-14 12:22, Vincent Picavet wrote:
[...]
> I've seen license related questions before on lists, and you seem to be
> pretty into this :-)
>
> Is it an idea, and do you have some time, to write a some text about this.

I will not have any time before end of next week to write that down, but I
think it is a good idea and can contribute to it. Either take the lead on that
and I'll review, or I'll try to do it next week. Let's say it is a
"Licence FAQ" document.

[..]
>> - You can create a QGIS installer and even sell it as long as you make
> installer sources available (as these become also GPL ??)
Only if the installer sources already are GPL and the code itself is modified.
Not sure about that, Jef would probably have more knowledge about that. The
QGIS GPL licence do not propagate to the installer as far as I know (no code
link).

> - You can create a commercial plugin, BUT the code is GPL and should be
> available (import qgis.core == propagation)
ok

> - You can create a QGIS plugin which in turn calls webservices or native
> apps via subprocess.call (as this is not linking)
ok

> With some additional information so the average manager does not get
> scared...
Right, that would let the managers be confident about developping / fund
development on top of QGIS.

Vincent