[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Re: Book about QGIS

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Wed Oct 22 11:28:22 PDT 2014

Below is my response regarding the use of the QGIS name and screenshots
in a book. If you see any issues with my response, let me know and I'll
send a correction.

-gary

On 10/22/14 6:21 AM:
> Dear Mr. Gary Sherman
>
> First, I would like to congratulate you and your coworkers for the
> excellent work with the development of QGIS. I am a user and I'm very
> thankful for that.
>
> I have previously contacted Frank Warmerdam and he gave me this e-mail
> so that I could express my doubts regarding a book I'm writing about the
> QGIS. As the book explains the basic functions of the program, I have
> used print screens from your software.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - Are there any restrictions for the images use?
> - How should I credit them? Are there any company norms?
> - Can I use the word "QGIS" in the title of my book?
>
> I'm looking forward to your answer.

Can you tell me a little bit more about your book? Perhaps share a table
of contents or outline? Who is is your publisher?

For guidance on use of the QGIS name, see:
http://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/trademark/index.html#frequently-asked-questions

You should of course give attribution to the QGIS project and reference
the project website somewhere in your book. This could be a short
paragraph in the Introduction or Preface.

The use of screenshots fall under fair use and are no problem.

-gary

--
Gary Sherman

Founder, QGIS Project