[Qgis-psc] Financial contribution for bug-fixing

Vincent Picavet - ML vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Wed Apr 8 03:08:18 PDT 2015

Hello,

Le mardi 7 avril 2015, 14:16:42 Paolo Cavallini a écrit :
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Il 07/04/2015 13:19, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:
> > The Swiss QGIS user group wants to contribute financially to bug fixing
> > and QA. We decided to raise our annual membership fees to fulfil this
> > goal.
> >
> > We want to make sure this money goes into bug fixing and quality
> > assurance. For 2015 we will support the effort with CHF 10'000 (Euro
> > 9'500).

Great ! Thanks a lot for this !

[..]

> I think this could be turned as follows:
> * the project identifies key areas where we need financial support, on
> the basis of a general budget[0]
> * then donors could express their preference (I'd suggest to allow this
> only for larger donations, say 5 to 10 k€) about what
> * the final decision on how to exactly invest the budget will remain in
> the hands of the PSC
> * those who want to target their funds more precisely can always hire a
> developer.
> How does this sound?

This sounds a good way to proceed to me. Flexible and let the PSC be free if
they want.

> [0]As for the yearly budget, I'd suggest to consider the following expenses.
>
> * Release management & packaging
> * Stabilisation and bug fixing
>   * pre-release (three times yearly)
>   * automatic test maintenance and management
>   * regular bug fixing
> * Testing and Bug Triaging
> * API Documentation
> * User Documentation & Training materials
> * Testing and hosting infrastructure
> * Translation management
> * Community management
> * Infrastructure management
> * Plugins management
> * Accounting, banking, and account fees
> * Promotional materials
> * Twice yearly developer meetings
> * Legal fees

Is it in order of importance ? I totally agree with the items, but not the
order.
Developers meetings and infrastructure should appear earlier in the list.
We should also make it clear for future sponsors that "development of new
features" is _not_ in this list.

Good to see this evolving in any case.

Vincent

--