[Qgis-psc] PSC Meeting log from 8/4?

Richard Duivenvoorde richard at duif.net
Mon Apr 13 06:42:55 PDT 2015

On 13-04-15 15:17, Luigi Pirelli wrote:
> On 13 April 2015 at 13:49, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 13 April 2015 at 18:44, Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> may we plane a dedicated timespace during next Hackmeeting?... and
>>> probably, when goals will be more fixed, this discussion would be
>>> moved (technically speaking) to qgis-developer.
>>
>> Do you mean during the hackfest? That's a bit late if 2.10 is going to
>> be 3.0. It only gives a couple of days between decision and release...

As I understand we have some pretty exciting stuff in line willing to be
incorporated in a 3.0 version (Nyall's stuff, Marco's geom stuff,
qml-stuff, ??? ...). Will putting all this nice stuff into master not
making it harder to backport other smaller fixes into 2.8 again? Feature
freeze is just 38d away: enough to put all this stuff into master, but
also easy to put a lot of side issues in it.

In my view our 'commitment' to universities etc to have a LTR would also
mean that we have a clear planning. Like:
- 2.10 will be the last one in the 2.0 line, so we will try to backport
issues untill 2.10 (and maybe 2.10.x) is released
- then we start 3.0 with all the new nice thingies.. and we make sure
that the next LTR will be as stable one too (while 3.0 probably will
have some toothing issues...)

My gutt feeling now is that I'm not in favour of going to a 3.0 version
one version after 2.8 L(!)tr. I see the Juergen's argument 'it is just a
number', but I think that for non community members this numbering AND
planning of it is more important (then it actually is for us)?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps there will always a tension about the fast-moving devs and the maybe
more conservative large corporation/governmental/university user-base...
So whatever is decided, I'm in :-)