[Qgis-psc] Vote about release plan

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Thu Apr 16 08:12:25 PDT 2015

Hi,

Sorry, I am not a PSC member, but the question here seems important ...

I also think there is no urge to break all the plugins in the next release.

What about Régis' comments ? There is an important issue here: a plan
with 2.x releases have been advertised some time ago and people count on
it to discuss new features, fund and make them developed. And they have
to be part of the next stable non API-breaking release.
We are currently developing new features that we expect initially to
land in a 2.10. If the next release force our customers to rewrite all
their plugins, then we might want to deliver new features in a
non-official release, which is not a very good idea.

So, why would we want a API break ? In my opinion, only for changes in
situations where it is nearly impossible to do otherwise.

Break the API for the removal of obsolete features ? I would be in favor
of that. But we could state that removing obsolete features are OK and
are not considered a "hard break" that would require to rewrite all the
plugins ? After all, obsolete code is marked as such since a long time.

About PyQT5 and Python3, naive question: is PyQT4 considered obsolete ?
What are the good reasons to use PyQT5 ?
I am pretty sure Python 2.X is not yet obsolete :)

Same as other people: no problem for a new breaking version with last
versions (PyQT5, Python3, C++11, etc.) but please announce it in
advance, don't replace the expected next non-breaking release ...