[Qgis-psc] Vote about release plan

Hugo Mercier hugo.mercier at oslandia.com
Thu Apr 16 08:59:46 PDT 2015

Hi Marco,

Le 16/04/2015 17:26, Marco Hugentobler a écrit :
> Personally I don't have a strong opinion about 2.10 yes or no.
>
>> About PyQT5 and Python3, naive question: is PyQT4 considered obsolete ?
>> What are the good reasons to use PyQT5 ?
>> I am pretty sure Python 2.X is not yet obsolete :)
>

> The idea is to have API breaks as rare as possible. And if, then do the
> API breaking things in one release. So having composer API break in
> autumn release and PyQt5 break in a later release is not good (unless
> you want to delay the move to PyQt5 for years).

I don't know. A composer API break has impacts on, well ... code and
plugins that use the composer.
If PyQT5 needs Python3, then *all* plugins need to be checked, fixed,
discussed about backward compatibility, etc.

> Well, Qt3 is not obsolete and I'm still happy we moved to a later
> version at some point.

When I try 'apt-cache search qt3' on a recent ubuntu, I only have
compatibility packages for QT4 ... that may be considered a good sign of
obsolescence.

I also agree trying to follow last versions is a good thing. But if it
breaks things, don't do it at the last moment, replacing a release that
is not expected to break.

I don't know. I think we still need at least one 2.x, as expected, 2.10
at a minimum.