[Qgis-psc] Vote about release plan

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Fri Apr 17 03:17:48 PDT 2015

Il 17/04/2015 09:51, Radim Blazek ha scritto:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:43 PM, HAUBOURG
> <regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> again, I really can't understand squeezing the very next release now, a month before feature freeze.
>>
>> For a major break, good practices should be:
>>  - announce it publicly at least two minor versions before

+1

>>  - finish old branch on a LTR version and announce it so that feature are not added in that branch

+1 (this is a good reason to have 2.8 followed by 3)

>>  - not break API too often. 2.0 was.. less than two years ago.

This would be good, but I'm afraid is partly outside of our control
(libray update by major distros).
What is the main problem in breaking APIs? AFAIK is the need to fix the
plugins. IMHO we should avoid leaving plugin authors alone; providing
detailed instructions on how to upgrade the plugin, and if possible some
scripts to fix most common cases, would make things less traumatic.
Therefore I suggest evaluating this work, and investing in it.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu